Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Beard Balm Recipe

I'm assuming that you're looking into a DIY beard balm because it's a great gift for your boyfriend or if you're a man reading this then you're trying to trick your girlfriend into making it for you, either way well played. Since beard balms are fairly cheap, you're looking at about $20-30 for a solid product for me it makes sense to just buy them but I do like the idea of having a manly 5 gallon bucket next to your sink full of beard balm to show off to your friends so I tried it myself. I will say, you can make a pretty nice product on your own although no matter what I did I couldn't get the amazing smell like I do from the products I buy. I'm not alone on this, every forum I read on DIY balms said that is the biggest challenge you'll run into and since one of best things about wearing a beard product is the compliments you get on how good your beard smells I just stick to my favorite brand. If you can get the formula right & smell perfected, here's mine. Everything but the smell is on point (it's good but not compliments daily good):

How To Make Beard Balm

Your measurements are going to change based upon the amount you want to create, obviously. So at the bottom I'll include a MAN-SIZE recipe just in case you're as crazy as me. I'll also include you're grocery shopping list below so you can get exactly what you need.

1.  "Melt" The Ingredients

Using a medium sized pot, bring 8oz of water to a boil. Place a large metal mixing bowl in the pot (the bottom cannot touch to boiling water). Mix in the 6 tbsp beeswax, 4 tbsp cocoa butter, 6 tbsp jojoba oil, 6 tbsp shea butter and 2 tbsp castor oil.

2. Stir Ingredients

Slowly stir the ingredients with a high heat silicone baking spatula for 4-8 minutes or until the mixture is fully melted and mixed.

3. Remove From Heat & Add Essential Oils

After melted removed from the heat and begin to add essential oils, start with a minimum of 5 drops or until you've reached the intensity of smell you desire.

4. Pour Into Containers

Now pour it into your desired containers, for best results use shallow containers that allow the balm to be no taller than 1 centimeter in height.  Leave on the counter to cool for two hours and do not cover them or put the lids on until after the two hours is up.  

Balm Ingredients

  • 6 tbsp Beeswax
  • 4 tbsp Cocoa Butter
  • 6 tbsp Jojoba oil
  • 6 tbsp Shea Butter
  • 2 tbsp Castor Oil
  • Favorite Essential Oils

Tools & Tins

  • 10 Small Tins
  • 1 Medium Pot
  • 1 Large Metal Bowl
  • 1 Silicone Baking Spatula

Man Size Recipe

I honestly just took this simple recipe and 10x it, normally this doesn't turn out so well when you're baking something but for this it's perfect. And yes, I bake... Kickass cookies.

What Role Do The Ingredients Play?

Beeswax - The beeswax is what really makes a balm, without it you're going to have some weak gooey substance and won't get the hold you're looking for. Shea & Coca Butter - The shea butter is really for the anti inflammatory properties which can help with any irritation or skin imbalances you have on your face. The cocoa butter on the other hand is full of vitamins and is a natural antioxidant. Carrier Oil - For this we used jojoba because it's so popular now and I thought if I threw up a recipe without it the average person would be like "screw this" but in opinion argan oil is just as good so don't believe all the commercial hype. This is what really gives your balm a nice texture and makes up the bulk of the product typically. Essential Oil - This is the smelly stuff, don't corner it to just that though. There a ton of benefits of specific essential oils that you can use to help with a number of things, everything from skin rashes to oily buildups. Think about adding biotin in your beard oil. If you're still lost at this point then I don't know what to tell you, call me over and for the price of a giant steak we will make some together.

http://ift.tt/2k6y5Oq



from Beard Oil Balm - Feed http://ift.tt/2lTKS83
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment